Skip to main content
A few weeks ago I was having a conversation with my Nanna, about how she grew up. After listening to her reminisce about learning to bake, cook, sew and learning general household knowledge, I realised that the majority of my generation have grown up, completely bypassing this. When I was at school the curriculum was full of electronics, business studies and science, all very important subjects, but where were the subjects that taught us vital life skills? Now school are reintroducing home economics...good! I am fortunate enough to have a grandparent who has time to show me how to cook and bake and get those pesky stains out of clothes. Others aren't so lucky. I know people my age who cannot cook, bake or generally get through life without the use of technology or the internet.

The following weeks I found myself at a family party that was catered by my Nanna, the usuals of pies, quiches and cakes. Throughout the evening my cousins and I made our way down memory lane, spending school holidays at my Nanna and Granddad's house baking cup cakes and fighting over who got to lick the spoon! My younger cousin and I both decided my Nan needed to share her wisdom. Last week my lovely Nanna and I had a baking day! We made quiches and cakes just like I remember when I was younger. They went down a treat in the staffroom. Here is a few pictures of our lovely bakes.


'You can't start until you have everything out at your work station!'


Nan was very impressed with my ambidextrous skills. It took all my energy not eat the mix before I made the cakes. 


'The secret to a good quiche Amy is low and slow cooking!' 


Releasing my inner child! We made chocolate cakes and butterfly cakes! These 6 were for my granddad...he had to check they weren't poisoned after all.


'Ohhh there is enough for me two saucer cakes!' 
My nan always got a saucer cake when she was little, she enjoys the crispy edge of the saucer cake. Must admit they are lovely.

I thoroughly enjoyed my baking day with my Nanna, even took down a notebook and pen so I could jot down her instructions. I'm now making a little baking book full of pictures, memories and recipes courtesy of my Nanna and her sisters. No one bakes like the Whiteheads!

Next up on the baking learning journey is corned beef pies! Nan just doesn't know it yet!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Warsaw!

So I've moved to Warsaw! In the middle of a pandemic. Call it escapism, call it ballsy or even slightly idiotic but I left England behind to move to Poland.  5.5 years after vowing I was sticking to teaching in the UK, I decided life is too short to have a job that doesn't give you that all important work life balance. The life that we all seek, being able to travel or see new things but also earn a living doing something we love. I love teaching but working in the UK, I rarely got time to breathe let alone travel....so off I popped on a plane and well here I am. I waited a few weeks (15 weeks to be precise) before writing about moving. I wanted to wait as, this year isn't just any year, its 2020. Now I know you might hate that phrase, it's 2020, but it is the best description to encompass the chaos that has been this year without going down the negative route. This year has been crazy. SO when I moved here, I didn't know how it would pan out. Would it be like Mosco...

Career Change Up

Exciting, Sad and Scary Times Lie Ahead! So over my 'many' years I've had various jobs, all with their pro's and con's and their highs and lows. I've been a; Disney Store Cast Member (basically got paid to let my Disney fanatic loose), Boots Sales Assistant (selling make-up to stroppy teenagers and medical bits and bobs to cute old people), Assistant in Vue Cinema (got to see films for free and before they came out), Student Ambassador (paid to walk round campus talking about the Uni...easy peasy) and then I graduated and life suddenly became hard. I taught in Moscow, Russia for 3 years, I was about to write beautiful years but that may have been taking it a step too far. They were 3 of the coldest years of my life in winter but beautiful summers. I would recommend St Petersburg to anyone as it was stunning. Teaching abroad really built up my confidence and allowed me to enjoy a travelling lifestyle, visiting places during school holidays. Expat life is AMAZ...

Back into my Sewing Mojo!

So I have recently embarked on a Minerva Crafts monthly sewing project. I needed something to give me a kick up the backside and this certainly did that. Go on over to Minerva Crafts for a looks at my review of the Vogue 9238 Cold Shoulder Top. My trip to London saw me buying illustration provisions and...well this happened! More practice is definitely needed on my croquis and I can see me investing in some illustration pens as my standard pencils just were cutting it. Kind of in love with my new top even if it does make me feel like a diet is on the horizon. Sewing Mojo is back and I've already got a new project on the way! It's going to be a toughie!