Skip to main content

Challenges!

At the beginning of the year, I set myself the goal of becoming fitter. Like so many people I'm realising just how busy and hectic life is without adding in trips to the gym and working up a sweat doing various different workout activities.

As a solution to this problem, I dug out my old faithful Fitbit. I have a Fitbit Flex which is the basic wristband model. As far as I'm concerned it does everything I require: track my steps; allow me to input my food intake; monitor my water consumption; and track my sleep pattern. In the photograph below you will notice one shining light; this indicates roughly how many steps you've taken. Now this was taken at the beginning of the day, with my daily goal of 10,000 steps, one dot indicates 2000 steps taken.

The reason I'm blogging about this today is not to give you the hard sell on a Fitbit or other step counting devices out on the market; and it most certainly isn't to make you go all calorie counting crazy. I simply thought I would write about my experiences over the past two weeks and how after digging out and dusting off my fitbit, my general fitness has increased.

Now I'm under no illusions. I'm a very competitive person. So when a friend contacted me to say she had bought a new Fitbit and wanted to add me into a competition, I immediately said yes. What a great incentive it became. I started the week long challenge by vowing I will do what ever it took to end the night with the highest step count. Throughout the week both me and my fellow Fitbit-er competed against each other to gather the most steps by Friday at midnight. 

My week turned very competitive as we were both at each others heels. One day I was flagging behind the next Rach was. 'only 378 steps behind Rach' well let me just get off the sofa and walk round the kitchen a little bit.


Friday rolled around and the week suddenly caught up with me. I was shattered and just couldn't face staying up longer and walking round the house. So at 9pm I crawled into bed with 495 steps between us, and whilst I was snuggled up dreaming sweet dreams, Rach pipped me to the post!

On reflection I think I'd call this a success. Yes I did lose. I was defeated whilst I slept but I'm OK with that. I'm great with that in fact, because even thought I'm not slogging it at the gym, working up a sweat that would make Shaun T proud, I upped my daily activity. I spent less time sat at my computer or watching TV because I was out walking the dog or walking back and forth from the staffroom. I had to beat Rach! 

I'm getting fitter! If there comes a day in the coming weeks where I have a spare moment, and I've done the vital things such as eat, sleep and breathe, I can add in a gym session.

Here is to little steps! A fitter 2016! And a victory one day on the workweek challenge! Rach I'm coming for you!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Warsaw!

So I've moved to Warsaw! In the middle of a pandemic. Call it escapism, call it ballsy or even slightly idiotic but I left England behind to move to Poland.  5.5 years after vowing I was sticking to teaching in the UK, I decided life is too short to have a job that doesn't give you that all important work life balance. The life that we all seek, being able to travel or see new things but also earn a living doing something we love. I love teaching but working in the UK, I rarely got time to breathe let alone travel....so off I popped on a plane and well here I am. I waited a few weeks (15 weeks to be precise) before writing about moving. I wanted to wait as, this year isn't just any year, its 2020. Now I know you might hate that phrase, it's 2020, but it is the best description to encompass the chaos that has been this year without going down the negative route. This year has been crazy. SO when I moved here, I didn't know how it would pan out. Would it be like Mosco

12 weeks of this? Will I survive?

What do you do when you know you are in the right place but then being a grown up and the need for income gets in the way? I'm embarking on a new journey in my life and I'm taking the huge step back into teaching. I weighed up my options and realised the best way for me to get back into teaching was through a return to teaching course. Now I don't know if you've ever wandered the lonely halls of Google but there aren't that many return to teaching courses out there, especially ones that don't involve teaching in London...slight distance for me to travel from the North East and...well....you know it costs an arm and a leg to rent down in London so that was never going to happen. I had to weigh up whether I would get the experience I needed through general day to day supply (since I waiting 5 years to start my NQT year I can now only do HLTA or TA work so that kind of limits my chances) or if by some miracle I could get a course that allowed me chance to t

Amy's Attic

Happy New Year! So 2016 has begun and many of us have started our New Year's resolutions. Mine started a while back. I plan on sewing/crafting more, because everyone has their outlets that relaxes them, crafts are my outlet. Now we are going to flash back a few week ago *Imagine T.A.R.D.I.S sounds here*. A friend and I were spending the day being ladies of leisure at the local Spa and Hotel, I felt so posh, when I began discussing my recent creative projects. Well after a glass of champagne, pampering and the heat of the hot tub, my friend had said how she found it odd I hadn't started a blog, documenting my projects. Now in the weeks to follow this thought had lingered and after a New Years Bucket List discussion my friends set me the goal of setting up a blog, thus Amy's Attic was born! The inspiration for Amy's Attic began months ago when I got sick, or rather my mother got sick, of me using her dining room table as a sewing/craft space. I then ran an idea passed