Skip to main content

Christmas Cracker Chaos!

Christmas has been and gone and I spent it being creative as per usual. As well as making a top for my grandma, I set out to make crackers with a personal touch. They went down a treat. I got them from Hobbycraft. Now I could have released my teacher side and made them with toilet roll tubes and crepe paper but I wanted them to match our presents, which were wrapped in brown paper with pretty bows and ribbons, so I opted for a Christmas cracker kit. The cracker kit I used is no longer on the website, but here is a version of the kit. This kit comes with the cardboard cracker paper and attached snapper, paper joke/trivia and an assortment of colourful paper hats. All that is left to do is buy the gift for inside and put them all together.



I loved shopping for the little gifts to go in the crackers. I bought miniature bottles of alcohol, little bottles of scented hand sanitiser from the Body Shop and little tubs of lip balm. One warning I will give to anyone planning on doing these next year, open with care! Christmas day in our house had arrived, we all sat round the dining table and everyone was made aware that they had personalised crackers. Everyone began pulling the crackers with difficulty. Those crackers weren't giving up the goods without a fight! After family members, my 70 year old grandad included, had defeated the cardboard crackers, mini bottles of alcohol, hand sanitiser and lip balm flew into the air with grace. Luckily all gifts were caught safely and handed to their recipient. Next year I will definitely stuff the crackers better next year so should this happen again, the gifts are wedged in the centre of the cracker.

Even with the the difficulty opening, I would definitely recommend these to others. People enjoyed showing their gifts round and it was nice opening a cracker with a gift you will actually use. If all else fails at least you've had a giggle at the effort and force required to open a cracker and the almost comical image of small items flying through the air.

I plan on updating this blog weekly if not bi-weekly, depending on what craft projects I'm completing.

Happy New Year everyone! Enjoy Crafting!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Warsaw!

So I've moved to Warsaw! In the middle of a pandemic. Call it escapism, call it ballsy or even slightly idiotic but I left England behind to move to Poland.  5.5 years after vowing I was sticking to teaching in the UK, I decided life is too short to have a job that doesn't give you that all important work life balance. The life that we all seek, being able to travel or see new things but also earn a living doing something we love. I love teaching but working in the UK, I rarely got time to breathe let alone travel....so off I popped on a plane and well here I am. I waited a few weeks (15 weeks to be precise) before writing about moving. I wanted to wait as, this year isn't just any year, its 2020. Now I know you might hate that phrase, it's 2020, but it is the best description to encompass the chaos that has been this year without going down the negative route. This year has been crazy. SO when I moved here, I didn't know how it would pan out. Would it be like Mosco

12 weeks of this? Will I survive?

What do you do when you know you are in the right place but then being a grown up and the need for income gets in the way? I'm embarking on a new journey in my life and I'm taking the huge step back into teaching. I weighed up my options and realised the best way for me to get back into teaching was through a return to teaching course. Now I don't know if you've ever wandered the lonely halls of Google but there aren't that many return to teaching courses out there, especially ones that don't involve teaching in London...slight distance for me to travel from the North East and...well....you know it costs an arm and a leg to rent down in London so that was never going to happen. I had to weigh up whether I would get the experience I needed through general day to day supply (since I waiting 5 years to start my NQT year I can now only do HLTA or TA work so that kind of limits my chances) or if by some miracle I could get a course that allowed me chance to t

Amy's Attic

Happy New Year! So 2016 has begun and many of us have started our New Year's resolutions. Mine started a while back. I plan on sewing/crafting more, because everyone has their outlets that relaxes them, crafts are my outlet. Now we are going to flash back a few week ago *Imagine T.A.R.D.I.S sounds here*. A friend and I were spending the day being ladies of leisure at the local Spa and Hotel, I felt so posh, when I began discussing my recent creative projects. Well after a glass of champagne, pampering and the heat of the hot tub, my friend had said how she found it odd I hadn't started a blog, documenting my projects. Now in the weeks to follow this thought had lingered and after a New Years Bucket List discussion my friends set me the goal of setting up a blog, thus Amy's Attic was born! The inspiration for Amy's Attic began months ago when I got sick, or rather my mother got sick, of me using her dining room table as a sewing/craft space. I then ran an idea passed